Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Regrets

Antalya, June 2.

Dear followers of our travels.
I don't like making excuses so I will offer an explanation.
We have regrettably fallen a week behind in our publishing. The writing is almost completely up to date. However, because of the slow internet in places in Turkey, it takes a painfully long time to upload the images which I love taking and I trust readers will enjoy as part of the story. Thus, I am delaying posting any more fully illustrated stories until we get to a faster internet.

At the moment we are in beautiful Antalya, but only the older Antalya. It is a worrying observation that most people only come to see the charm, intimacy, colour and richness of the older and historic parts of town. Except for those who seek the sun or sea or the value that Turkey has to offer, the contemporary urbanity is sadly very forgettable. We chatted to a Norwegian gentleman last night. He has invested some funds in Turkey which earn enough to be able to pay more than enough for his regular holidays here. And yet, he still comes and stays in the old town. 

Even though I am a student of urbanity, I know that the new parts of the city have little to offer to me now. We make poor cities today not because we don't have the knowledge. We ignore the lessons of the past. We just don't want to learn from it. Sad.
Why would one walk anywhere else given this setting. It is even accessible to taxis, emergency and delivery vehicles. 
We are wishing for a faster internet soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment